Sports at MMK
At MMK, we are proud of our extensive and varied sports offering. Tied in with our inclusive
school ethos, we encourage all of our pupils, whatever their age and ability, to participate in
various sports. We believe that children benefit in all sorts of ways by joining in sports.
Besides boosting health and helping children to be fit, children learn and utilise important
life skills like being as part of a team, as well as having the opportunity to work towards and
attain goals (and not just those in football and netball)!! We work hard to give our children
the stage to boost their confidence and self-esteem, and as an added bonus, we often find
that this translates well in the classroom too!
In addition to twice-weekly PE lessons for each class, we run after-school and breakfast
sports clubs. We also participate in an exciting array of borough and local school
competitions and tournaments. Indeed, our contributions and achievements in sports were
recognised in 2017 when the Barnet Partnership for School Sport awarded MMK the
prestigious Gold Award. This comes after MMK previously attained a Bronze award during
The sports that we enjoy include (among others):
- Rugby tag
Please see below for recent highlights in our sports calendar:
- February 2018: Some of our special needs pupils are entering a Boccia competition;
- February 2018: Quicksticks Hockey Tournament for years 5 and 6;
- February 2018: Girls from year 5 and 6 are participating in the MaccabiGB netball
- January 2018: Teams from Years, 3, 4, 5 and 6 entered the MaccabiGB 5-a- side
football match, along with 15 other schools;
- November 2017: Our Year 5 netball A team won the MaccabiGB Jewish Primary
School tournament, beating around 12 schools. This achievement follows on from
2016, when both our A and B teams for Year 5 and 6 won this tournament; and
- November 2017: We entered teams from Years 5 and 6 for the Saracen’s rugby tag
tournament, which was organised through Barnet. We entered this competition in
2016 as well.
- November 2017: Barnet Schools Swimming Gala for years 3, 4, 5 and 6.
Interestingly, we are taking part in a virtual competition, run through Barnet schools. The featured activity for this year is skipping. Participants count how many times they skip in a certain way over a period of time. The top ten scores are presented to Barnet for the judges to rank them.
Updated in January 2018 by Mr Thorne, SEN TA & Sports Coach